>>> I have dd’d A disk in and out succesfully but even 2 samsung 120G
>>> flash disks are not identical and dd did not work.
>>>
>>> The whole EFI business is tricky, try lots to get a solution or don’t
>>> be innovative. The EFI scheme is not the same across motherboards
>>> - my iMac, ASUS and NUCs all are different and need different care. caveat
>>> emptor.
>> The dd worked fine - I could pull one storage device out, plug the
>> other one in, and it booted no worries - it was just when I moved them
>> between different NUC's (identical spec, down to BIOS version) that it
>> failed.
>>
>> I was being lazy and trying to save myself doing another install - I
>> ended up costing myself double the time it would have taken to install
>> again in the first place.
>>
>> I have to admit, this is the first time I've come across a UEFI
>> enabled device - live and learn.
>>
>> DaZZa
> I wonder what would happen if you did some kind of a diff between the
> installs.

I speculate that identical installs are identical and the devil of the detail
is in the efi partition and the boot setup.
When you re-install the efi partition is NOT recreated and for me a reinstall
usually fails. Being too clever for words I made a new partition, but that too
failed. dd /dev/zero was my friend (in case somebody who did not get the hint
reads this: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M) whereupon all is sweet.
I have managed to move a disk from 1 NUC to another and have it work. I’ve also
failed doing this. I speculate that during boot the machine writes to the efi
partition, that WHAT it writes allows/disallows another machine to use THIS
disk.
PFM (pure magic)
James