I am still working a problem at our hosting facility (a t1 is down) so it will be a while before I can get back to the list, however I wanted to clear this one up to minimize confusion.

A persistent server instance uses a dynamic poll timing algorithm to minimize system loads while maximizing response times. It is probably not appropriate to use a fixed time interval for polling since this can cause unnecessary system loading and since the dynamic approach we're using has proven in our labs to offer improved all-around performance.

When the server has processed a job for a client it polls again immediately without waiting.

If no job is found then it will wait a short time before polling again.

If there are no available clients on a poll then the wait time between polls will increase in a "natural spiral" based on a Fibonacci sequence. This wait time will continue to expand until either a new job is found or the limit is reached. The limit is currently set to 1/2 the maximum client base wait time - which amounts to 4 seconds.

It's worth noting that in order for a server instance to get to a given wait time (such as 4 seconds) there must have been no messages to process for that amount of time. It's also worth noting that some folks using spamassassin regularly report message processing times on the order of 5 to 9+ full seconds for each message (I just read this on the sa list). Based on these two factors I've considered that waiting a maximum of 4 seconds to process a message after a 4 second lull in activity is probably not an issue - especially considering that once the message is processed it will likely take only an additional 30ms or so on average for a total of 4.030 sec (ymmv). This also represents the worst case given the current tuning parameters...

Once a job is found then the wait time is reset to the minimum.

Once again, the first poll after a job has been processed has no wait time... so if there is a burst of message activity after a 4+ second lull, the first message waits a maximum of 4 seconds and the rest wait only a few tens of milliseconds.

The monitor messages you are seeing are only a debugging/tuning aid and they will be removed for the production version. The timing message is only emitted when the server instance has found no messages to process during the previous poll.

Hope this helps,
_M

PS: In a situation where peer-server instances become mixed it is possible for more than one server instance to become active for a period of time. The Fibonacci timing spiral helps to ensure a distributed scattering of lock requests when multiple instances are active - thus reducing collisions.