At 02:26 PM 3/26/2004, you wrote:
I've been getting the error message below for the past two weeks.  I get
it for both smtp32.exe and imail1.exe

Application popup: smtp32.exe - Application Error : The application
failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the
application.

<snip>

I changed the number of delivery threads from 60 to 30 yesterday but I
had the same problem this morning.  Before making this change the cpu
utilization was about 100% most of the time. After the change it
decreased to 60%-70%.

It seems that your server is heavily loaded so all adjustments are likely to be "touchy". Scott (of Declude) has a good deal of experience dealing with this issue. It involves an undocumented resource in the Microsoft OS that seems to get used up when certain DLLs are loaded such as user32.dll - btw: Based on Scott's recommendation we long ago hacked the libraries on our code warrior compiler so that Sniffer does not link to the user32.dll. At the time this had a profound impact on the "Mystery Heap" problem for Sniffer.

Is there a way to use message sniffer without having this problem?

The 2-3 beta will definitely help the CPU usage.

The "Mystery Heap" problem is more difficult to solve - the solution appears to be different on each system. In my experience the most important factor "appears" to be the number of processes opened by services at any one time. This is why reducing delivery threads usually helps.

Others on the list - and especially on the Declude list will have more combined experience with this. If you haven't already you should ask there.