Thanks John - I didn't know that, but it would explain things...

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of John Tolmachoff (Lists)
Sent: 16 March 2005 14:40
To: sniffer@SortMonster.com
Subject: RE: [sniffer] Moving Sniffer to Declude/SmarterMail

> One thing we did whilst in the middle of this was to move all the log
> and spool files to a standalone disk instead of the RAID5 array for
> the main server, and we have seen a real reduction in the physical
> disk queue lengths, which, under significant load, helps. Worth knowing.
>

> Nick

It is a well known and published fact (on the Imail list) that RAID5 should
never ever be used for the spool directory or any other directory that has a
high write activity. This is basic physics. RAID5 should really only be used
for high read activity only, such as databases where most of the writing is
done to transaction (log) files and at spaced intervals those transactions
are committed to the database.

RAID1 or even RAID0+1 is best for the spool and logs.

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You