On Thursday, November 10, 2005, 9:40:42 AM, Daniel wrote:

DB> Hi Pete,

DB> Thanks for the info. I actually already have the current version running.
DB> I'm very happy with it's performance. I just did not have a clear
DB> understanding on those issues.

DB> On another note, when you have the new version install, will it overwrite my
DB> current settings? And will it also install scripts for updating the rule
DB> base, and sending logs? Because I already have that setup now.

In theory the installer will know if there is a previous version and
will not adjust any of the config data.

It's a bit of a complicated problem because there are so many way to
configure the software.. so the installation process can be complex.

I'd like to know how you have your updates set up - perhaps I can use
that as a model for the installer.

The basic idea is that the installer will create a "default"
installation that emits headers and puts a .cf file in place for SA to
interpret them. After that, the technically minded can manually adjust
the installation.

If the installer finds an installation in place then it will likely
update the .DLL and leave everything else alone.

Comments about these concepts are welcome, of course.

The goal is to make a plug-and-play installation possible while
leaving the more sophisticated options open to the technically minded.