From: "Pete McNeil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Darin Cox" <sniffer@SortMonster.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:13 AM
Subject: Re[2]: [sniffer] problems!!!!

On Wednesday, February 8, 2006, 10:59:09 AM, Darin wrote:

DC> I have an idea. These problems seem to stem  mostly from changes
DC> in the methods of handling rulebase updates.

<snip/>

DC> Would it be feasible to announce in advance when  such changes
DC> are to be implemented? With advance notice of a date and time
DC> for the switch we could choose to freeze our rulebases just before
DC> that for a  day to make sure the kinks were worked out before
DC> updating. A few spam  messages that slip through are better than
DC> a slough of false positives that  require review and are delayed in
reaching the customer.

That's a good idea, and we do, in fact, follow that procedure.
Whenever we make any large scale changes we always announce them here
on this list,... we usually also put them on our web site.

There is an error in your comment however... the previous event (with
the rule-bots) was completely unforeseeable. There was no way to
announce that known good software would suddenly fail so spectacularly
when no changes within our control were made.

Thankfully, that kind of event is extremely unlikely also.

It is unfortunate that these two events would happen so closely
together.