From: "Pete McNeil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Message Sniffer Community" <sniffer@sortmonster.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:25 AM
Subject: [sniffer]Re[2]: [sniffer]FP suggestions

Hello Darin,

Wednesday, June 7, 2006, 7:31:29 AM, you wrote:

> The one issue with this I have is
>

> 1) Forward full  original source to Sniffer with license code.
>
> If we could do it without the license code, it  would be much
> easier to automate on our end. I already have a process in  place
> to copy and reroute false positives by rewriting the Q file. I'm
> hesitant to alter the message itself to add the license code. If we
> could  authenticate the FP report via some other means it would help
> greatly. How  about connecting IP instead?

At the moment that is how it's done: a combination of email address
and source IP are matched with the license ID.

The reason we ask for the license ID is because folks submitting false
positives occasionally forget that we authenticate on their registered
email address and use some other address.

-- The rule is that if the system can't match the email address it
should/may drop the message rather than evaluating it. We get a lot of
spam and attempts to game the system at our false@ address... so when
it's heavy we do drop messages that can't be properly identified.

However, in an effort to provide the best service possible, if the
license ID is present and we have the time we will look to see if it
could be a legit FP submission by researching the source and domain -
and if we think it is likely to be legitimate we will process the FP
and respond with an additional code reminding the submitter that they
must use their registered email address or an authorized alias.

Pete McNeil
Chief Scientist,
Arm Research Labs, LLC.

To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Send administrative queries to  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>