Hello Darrell,

> Pete,

> Can you cover how the communication for the GBUdb system works?

Sure. (And documentation is coming along with a web site redesign, so
there will be plenty of additional detail on all things new SNF
arriving over the next few weeks).

>   Who
> does it exchange information with and how?
>   Does it need special ports open?

I'm going to assume this question is at least in part about security
issues so I will frame my response from that perspective:

Every minute or so (adjusted dynamically by the system) each new SNF
node contacts one of our SYNC servers. The connection is made to port
25 by default.

Since most MTAs will regularly make these kinds of connections no
special ports will need to be open. If your MTAs are not allowed make
outbound connections to port 25 for some reason then you have the
option to make the connection to port 80.

Our SYNC server software rejects connections by default. If an SNF
node follows the expected connection protocols and authenticates
properly and consistently then it will be allowed to communicate with
the system. If it fails to do any of these things or looks suspicious
in any way then it will be automatically black listed for increasingly
extended periods and potentially null routed by our fire-walls. The
security mechanisms are fully automatic and constantly monitored.

The authentication protocol used to identify properly licensed SNF
nodes is described in the file AuthenticationProtocol.swf. This file
is included in the beta distributions and is also visible in the page
linked below.

At present there is no mechanism for connections to be made into SNF
nodes -- only from SNF nodes to the SYNC servers. Also, there is no
mechanism that allows the SYNC server (or any of our systems) to
manipulate the SNF nodes except by the protocols described in the
GBUdb documentation and by reporting update availability, tuning data,
etc.

This link helps explain how these interactions work:

http://kb.armresearch.com/index.php?title=Message_Sniffer.TechnicalDetails.GBUdb

The SYNC system is separate from the rulebase delivery system.

All of the data transmitted and received by the SNF nodes is in plain
text or base64 encoded. The format of the data is XML. With the
exception of GBUdb traffic, the telemetry transmitted to us is
available to you directly in the .status. reports made by the SNF
engine. Status reports can be found in the same directory as your SNF
log files. You can use these XML based posts to create your own
real-time monitoring systems.

In addition to the GBUdb functions, the telemetry eliminates the need
to send in log files by providing near real-time pattern matching
statistics; supports virtual spamtraps and other collaborative
learning systems; and provides performance analysis, error detection /
correction, and system tuning metrics.

One other security note -- the virtual spamtrap system can be turned
off easily if you wish. Normally the virtual spamtrap system will send
us a random sampling of messages that come from the worst known IPs
when those messages do not match known pattern rules. In most systems,
these are messages that would normally be discarded.

Samples are infrequent by design so they should not account for any
appreciable bandwidth.

Similarly, the GBUdb protocol is designed to share information
sparsely so that no appreciable bandwidth or CPU capacity is required.

Please let me know if I missed the mark on your questions.

Hope this helps,

Pete McNeil
Chief Scientist,
Arm Research Labs, LLC.