Hi Pete:

>>http://www.armresearch.com/support/articles/software/snfServer/config/node
/network/update-script.jsp
<http://www.armresearch.com/support/articles/software/snfServer/config/node/
network/update-script.jsp%3c%3c> <<

Yep, had read that - but that page just instructs me to use the full path,
which I did. Does NOT tell me that the Windows platform requires to quote
the string or use DOS style paths - or, how to test if the script will
launch and, if not, where to see the return codes that the service
encounters.

I had looked through your log files and I expected to see some XML row
similar to:

              "YYYYMMDD HHMMSS: Update Script %1 launched. RC=%2"

- but didn't.

Knowing how to trigger it manually is good to know - thank you for sharing
this. In this case, it still wouldn't have helped me debug the problem,
since neither the fact THAT a call had occurred at all and the return code
apparently were being logged.

>> We are considering some features for the next minor upgrade to help test
this feature such as the ability to trigger it and a log entry that returns
whatever system() returned (that will have to be interpreted by the user
according to their platform's documentation for that call).<<

I think that would be necessary.

>> Everything in call= is passed to system() as a string.<<

As you know, there are a few different ways to launch programs in Windows -
some of them accept a full path as a separate parameter (spaces allowed). I
don't think it's safe to assume that your customers would know which
function call you had chosen, and to predict what its limitations might be.
Some of us are Win32 API programmers - many probably aren't.

I really don't have a problem with either including the string in quotes or
using DOS style paths, etc. - it's just that there was nothing helpful in
the product or documentation that would have lead me to conclude that either
before or after it didn't work.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,

Andy