Hello Andy,

Monday, October 6, 2008, 10:20:05 AM, you wrote:

Hi Pete:

>>http://www.armresearch.com/support/articles/software/snfServer/config/node/network/update-script.jsp<<

Yep, had read that – but that page just instructs me to use the full path, which I did. Does NOT tell me that the Windows platform requires to quote the string or use DOS style paths

It will shortly. I wanted to get the link out there for those following along.

<snip/>

As you know, there are a few different ways to launch programs in Windows – some of them accept a full path as a separate parameter (spaces allowed). I don’t think it’s safe to assume that your customers would know which function call you had chosen, and to predict what its limitations might be. Some of us are Win32 API programmers – many probably aren’t.

Indeed.

Since SNF is cross-platform software I could not chose a Windows specific call to launch the external script. I also had to chose something that would be thread safe. The system() call is a posix standard -- posix having been around a very long time.

I really don’t have a problem with either including the string in quotes or using DOS style paths, etc. – it’s just that there was nothing helpful in the product or documentation that would have lead me to conclude that either before or after it didn’t work.

There will be shortly.

Thanks for your detailed posts!

Pete McNeil

Chief Scientist,