To: "Message Sniffer Community" <sniffer@sortmonster.com>
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 1:44 PM
Subject: [sniffer] Daylight Savings Time Update Problem.

Hello Sniffer Folks,

IMPORTANT!

We have discovered a problem with the rulebase update mechanism that is currently installed on most systems; and this problem combined with daylight savings time is causing trouble with rulebase updates.

There has long been a bug in the getRulebase script using wget which causes the rulebase file that is downloaded to have the local system's timestamp. Under normal circumstances this does not cause a problem because most system clocks are synchronized and the local timestamp is generally newer than the timestamp of the rulebase file on our servers.

HOWEVER, with daylight savings time starting this past Sunday there is a problem:

The local timestamp for the rulebase file is almost always older than the timestamp shown on our servers. As a result the update mechanism continues to go back to get a new rulebase file over, and over, and over again.

We have a newer update script that uses CURL and we are testing this newer script to see if it will solve this problem even when the local server's daylight savings time starts later than our server. (The start date of daylight savings time has change recently)

We are hopeful that the new script and the use of CURL will solve the update problem by fixing the timestamp bug. We will let you know shortly about the results of our testing.

In any case, there are clearly a large number of servers that are not yet on daylight savings time and that in itself is likely to cause some problems.

We will post again shortly,

Best,