Ryan Krueger wrote:
We monitor the sniffer database files to ensure they are up to date. Some of our servers are showing stale files and some are showing up to date.

Comparing the differences I see that the up to date servers have the license.snf files with a recent mod date nearly matching the license.gbx. On the servers with out of date snf files I see the gbx files are up to date.

Should both files have similar mod dated?

No. The mod times on these two files are not related. The .gbx file is a snapshot of the GBUdb data. GBUdb can create a snapshot for a number of reasons. None of them are related to the .snf file.

What is the correct file or combination of files to test for up to date?

You can look at the mod time of the .snf file.

You can look to see if there is an UpdateReady.txt file. This file is created by the SNF engine when it detects that there is a newer rulebase file available at our servers. Your update mechanism should delete this file whenever it has successfully downloaded a new rulebase file. That way it will only exist when SNF has detected that a newer rulebase file is available.

You can check your status.* log files:

In the <rules/> status section look for something like: <update ready="yes" utc="20091104184110"/>

ready="yes" indicates that SNF has detected a newer rulebase file is available on our servers.

Note that the status information is also available via XCI if your system is using that interface.

Hope this helps,