In a message dated 9/14/2006 1:06:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Imagine what tasks ECSS  would have
developed  for  the weak lift, wooded hills and tree lined roads
of  Pennsylvania, New York, and New England.
I don't think it would have been all that different - we have certainly not found the established tasks all that daunting!  Weak lift? - I logged 1 hour+ thermal flights on each of 12 consecutive summer weekend days back when, just for the fun of it (most with only one launch).  I've also beat an hour on an overcast, chilly, and drizzly March day.  For many years we (CASA) ran an XC event over a 32 mi course, yes it had tree canyons and tunnels, they go with the territory, they can be overcome (a good spotter/navigator helps).   The course also had a nearly straight, mostly clear (only one tree canyon), 7.5 mile stretch over which several of us got our 10K G&R.  The Appalachian chain is hardly devoid of slope opportunities, I personally know of 4 sites where the 8 hr has been done multiple times.  Mostly, it's having the will and commitment to watch the forecasts and GO when the wx is favorable for whatever.  BTW, you have a significant error in your LSF history account for which I will post a correction shortly.  Good Lift!  Skip Schow  ECSS/NSS 71-71, LSF 166 (V #46)