To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Charlie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 11:41 AM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Re:line breaks

1" is the extereme,  you won't get the plane moving fast enough.
1.5 is extreme too. 1.75 seems better. The best compromise. Anyway in referring to the Goughner drum which is too large, smaller offers more power, and the ability to break lines. Too small you can't get the plane moving. To large no power and you will stall the winch and eat brushes..

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
With all due respect I disagree Jeff.
Brian Smith
-----------------------
Charlie less drum diameter will lead to more line breaks. Since you have more torque you can now crank more turns in and break the line easier. -- Jeff Steifel
-------------------------------
I agree with you to Brian.
i disagree with the larger drum dia. for a standard winch.

on a f3b winch yes, i agree.

the standard winch has so much power.
say you started with a 3'' dia. that thing will pull line in so fast and
load a plane up instantly without stalling the winch, it just keeps pulling alot
of line in FAST.
as your tapping the pedal you can see your plane pulsing.

go down to say a 1'' dia. it's not going to pull the line in so fast. much
easier to control your plane with the pedal.

I've tried it, and I've seen it.

dh

--
Jeff Steifel