  Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:12:07 -0700
From: Daryl Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [RCSE] re:contest launch equipment vs large models
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: Soaring@airage.com

Mike Smith pretty much hit the nail on the head. The problem isn't the
line. The problem isn't the size of the model. Our TD style winches are
unnecessarily strong. I'd love to see the winches restricted at major
contests.

I'm always going to fly large wingspan models at an UNLIMITED thermal
duration contest. I like the way they perform. Period. Sorry, but my
newest model is 3.9M or 153.5". It wasn't designed for F3J. It was
designed for US style UNLIMITED thermal duration.

I often hear CD's complain about guys launching hard. I understand your
need to keep the contest moving. But blaming the competitor for being
competitive???? Ummmm... it's a CONTEST!!! We're competing. You can't
expect a competitor to back off on his competitive spirit. He needs to
be allowed to do whatever he feels he needs to do to gain a competitive
advantage.

Using the line as the "weak link" is not only unfair, it's dangerous.
Limiting winch power is a great way to guarantee winch equality across
the board. Visalia's winches are unbelievably weak, and they have very
few line breaks. SWC winches are usually pretty strong, but are
inconsistent from one winch to the next, and change over the course of
the day. The NATS has the strongest winches I've ever used, and they use
rope line to keep things going. I know... the darn things ruined a
perfectly good Insanity.

Don't limit the models. Don't limit the line size or perceived breaking
strength. Limit the available winch power, and you'll begin to see
models optimized for that available power.

Darylperkins.com LLC.
1600 McCulloch Blvd. 5B
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

www.darylperkins.com