Dave:

Just to make sure I would

1>at command prompt: "service pcmcia stop"
2>insert card then at command prompt: "service pcmcia start"
3>at command prompt: "kismet_hopper"
4>at command prompt: "kismet"
5>then "iwpriv" and look for "monitor" listed as a private ioctl on your PCMCIA ethernet interface (which is eth1 on my setup).

In any case, yes, Kismet should detect your AP, whether it's running WEP or not.

-Brendon