I think my response to yours would be embodied in the following (rather
lengthy) posting to the SANE Network. Substantially I agree with the Pope
statement, but I do not see the philosophy is embodied in the organisation he
heads. The Pope and Cardinals, Bishops, etc is a political entity (hierarchy)
in the same way that President Bush and the high-ups head the Republican
Party. Further, the 'church-party' headed by the Vatican is no more 'the
Church' than is the party in the Whitehouse the American people. I consider
both to be an imposition upon the people they claim to serve.

I go along with this statement by Douglas:-
> It must be insisted that Christianity is either something inherent in the
> very warp and woof of the Universe, or it is just a set of interesting
> opinions, largely discredited, and thus doubtfully on a par with many other
> sets of opinions, and having neither more nor less claim to consideration.

Jessop.
-----------------------
Let me come clean! I approach all things spiritual, political and social from
my personal Christian understanding. Not long after I was converted to God
and Christ from practical atheistic communism (not that I was deep in the
philosophy), I began to see that the Church cannot be 'owned' by an hierarchy
with head quarters in Rome, nor an hierarchy with head office in Pretoria,
Canterbury, or in the Southern states of America. The Church is owned by
no-one but God because he owns each individual that is part of the Church.
Therefore each one of us is responsible only to God, but we are placed in
'support groups' while we are on earth, and those consist of, first, parents,
then family, then neighbourhood, then clan, then tribe, then nation, then
state. The support group exists for the individual, but without individuals
making their natural contribution to the whole, there can be no support
group. So the individual is responsible only to God, but conducts
himself/herself in such a way that strengthens the group, enabling it to
function. The authority over the group rests only in God, but is expressed
through the common voice of all the people of God.

But, because God keeps himself invisible, men take control and start to
dictate. They do this firstly as an individual, and then the leadership
ability in the individual attracts lackeys and fellow-travellers who see in
it an advantage for themselves. So a party (or king and council) is formed
which quickly moves away from a role of 'protector' to that of dictator ---
sometimes under the pretense of 'democracy.'

But we know from Plato that 'democracy' doesn't actually work because it soon
gives rise to anarchy, which again soon sees a battle between leaders -- and
emerges once more (under the guise of democracy) as a plutocracy (rule by the
wealthy) because the party with the greatest resources in money will win.

So the Church, when visible, is a local meeting of believers, and is ruled by
God -- the Spirit of God. When men take prominent positions -- firstly in the
guise of 'guardians' (of doctrine and of people) -- they soon taste the
benefits to themselves of status, prestige, reverence, and financial reward,
and become an hierarchy of control interposing themselves between mankind and
God. And the people blandly accept it because responsibility passes from
themselves -- but does it?

Plato's solution to this -- which he admits will not actually work -- is that
'guardianship' of the nation or state should be in the hands of those born to
the task, who do it not for gain or recognition, but because they are
naturally equipped to do it and their inner nature compels them to give
themselves to a task which they actually do not want! They own no personal
wealth, but are maintained by the people (they share in the National
Dividend!) Plato (Socrates) terms them guardians because they are not
'rulers' but are there to adjudicate between individuals involved in internal
conflicts, and to provide security from outside aggression.

The 'ideal guardian' in Plato's analysis ends up with the full attributes of a
benevolent God. He sees that, in the absence of such a person (or persons,
for he lived in an era when there were multiple gods), a 'captain' would be
appointed but whose captaincy would immediately be challenged by others who
want the position for themselves.  Therefore, in the absence of that 'true
ruler', his Republic would not work.

But this is the primary concept in Christianity. Christ is the head of the
Church and no one else can exercise authority over it. While some will teach
and and encourage, no one is to be boss over the rest, and all group actions
are undertaken after discussion in open forum of all members present.
Membership does not describe a name on a list;  all believers assembling
together are members of Christ and of each other.

In society and government today, in the absence of that sense of belonging to
God inherent in the Christian fellowship, the responsibility of the
individual is still to the 'assembling citizens', or to the will of the
people, perhaps as enshrined in a constitution and subject to mediation by
the courts (equivalent to the 'elders of the tribe' or community.

The concept, then, of either Church, Nation or State -- and government within
each entity -- is the same and corresponds to the normal, natural, needs of
the individual in his or her society.

To persevere with what is becoming a lengthy document, the truth of this
started hitting home to me in a dream I had in 1979 at a time when I was
awakening to the situation that whatever someone started, there was always
someone else who wanted to take it over, consolidate it, and rule it.  In the
dream I was running down a steep mountain side together with a man I know and
another whose identity was hidden from me. At the bottom of the slope the
land levelled off and continued to the edge of a vast lake whose farther
shore I could not see. The ground was rugged and dotted here and there with
Karoo bushes - small, hardy shrubs of various types. The man I know had
wandered off a little distance when I bent down and picked up a little
creature (an iguana - an ancient species of large lizard) which had come to
my feet, presumably from the water's edge. As 'Faans' returned to me I said:
"This little iguana is a very sad little beast because that big beast over
there has eaten all the other little ones and this one is the only one left".
I said this as I pointed to a karoo bush on the level plain from behind which
a very much larger iguana leered at me and then quickly hid away. I put the
little iguana back on the ground and the dream ended.

The principle then became clear and clearer -- the individual in his/her local
division is always prey to the forces in man which drives men to consolidate
and rule (the opposite of divide and rule, strangely enough, which has its
own application when the consolidator or absolute ruler wishes to prevent
rebellion against his rule. Biblically, that is what God did at the Tower of
Babel when mankind wanted to unite against his rule over them and he said 'If
they do this, there is no stopping them in anything they want to do', which
ultimately would be complete democracy leading to anarchy, thence
(eventually) to the autocracy of a self-appointed 'god' over mankind. All the
evidence from an examination of the structures of our society, is that the
forces driving man are still leading to that end -- that one day there will
emerge a ruler powerful enough to think that he can unseat God.

I am not trying to preach my faith to you, but I need to express my conviction
that things in the scriptures of the Church are not made to be true because
of their presence in the book, but they are preserved there simply because
they are true, speaking plainly of the very created -- and corrupted --
nature of mankind. They would be true for us even if they were not contained
in scripture. I think that the 'ethics' of all other major religions also
have that universal application because they are the distilled wisdom of
mankind over thousands of years -- very little has been added to them in
recent times. The religions all have the ethics, but seem to lack the one
essential ingredient, which is free, unconditional forgiveness on the part of
the only power that (who) can forgive -- God. In the absense of that sense of
having been forgiven for our very inability to do what is right, the only
other way lies in creating our own 'righteousness'  --- by 'works of
righteousness' -- which we are inherently unable to do to the full because of
the same failures in our human nature which Plato encountered in formulating
the concept of the suitable ruler over his Republic. We cannot pull ourselves
up by our own bootstraps.

The solutions for government and state-finance enshrined in that ancient
wisdom are simple and natural -- we ourselves have made it complicated to
suit the aspirations of kings and rulers, traders and builders of empires.

 I do not advocate a union between Church and State -- the Lord of the Church
said expressly that His Kingdom is not of this world (yet). There is no such
thing as, nor has there ever been, a 'Christian Country' except in the minds
and aspirations of some men. You cannot 'make' individuals Christian, let
alone a whole nation.

Having explained that, I am ready once more to apply my mind to the job at
hand, which is how to propose a meaningful system for state-economics which
will be good for all the people. After that, how do we go about getting
ourselves heard in a world filled with so many voices clammering for
audience?

Regards to all,

Jessop.