Hi Chris,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Chris Wilson  wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Arun Khan wrote:
>
>> The install process goes fine i.e. no error message on the screen.
>
> What exact installation process did you follow? Did you run "grub-install"
> to install the boot loader afterwards?

Untar the VL tarball and run the installation provided by distro.
Target disk was the CF card (/dev/sdb) attached via a USB card reader.
 The install script creates the partition, formats it, copies the OS
and installs the Grub boot loader customized to the hardware platform.
 In my case I choose 5501.   The grub.cfg file is customized to
display on the serial console with speed 19200 (default on 5501).

>> When I put the CF cards in the net5501, it fails to recognize the cards.
>
> Does it list the cards as hard disks during the POST? If not, they are
> faulty or not compatible with the Soekris.

With VL on the CF I could not see any hard disk during POST.

Meanwhile, I have been experimenting with Vyatta 6.4 (derivative of
Debian).  I installed the distro on the very same CF and the 5501 does
recognize it!

However, it has it's own issues :(   I will start another thread with
the details of the issues encountered with Vyatta 6.4 on 5501.

Thanks
-- Arun Khan