Hey Rob,

>  but doesn't seem any different from the 2nd example pic

I didn't received your email with the pic in my gmail. But checking in my
AD mail, I see it now... weird xsilist problem again?
So yes, you are using the exact same thing :). The only thing to add is a
node to clamp the value that are out of range (to avoid displacement again
after the end of the interpolation).
In the sample scene, I'm using an fcurve node as it looks like it clamps
the values nicely (and add more control in the blending).

G.