Hi Andy.

I attended the Montreal workshop last Thursday. I too see myself as a technical artist and I too was intimidated by it. But I spend the weekend thinking about it and I think it's normal to be intimidated right now, but things will change.

It's a lot like ICE, except that you need to code. It's also much broader in its applications. Coding is being done in python for the ui, logic, connections, etc. And KL is the language they invented for the performance critical parts. If we were to compare it to ICE, python would be used to connect the nodes, declare the variables and the PPGs, and KL would be used to code the nodes themselves.

Remember how ICE was dry when it first came out? Then later Phil Taylor released his compounds pack and then more and more users released tons of compounds. Today, when you want to achieve something new in ICE, you better look in rray.de/xsi first before wasting time reinventing the wheel again.

I guess the same thing will happen with Creative Platform. The Fabric Engine guys are developping things at a surprising rate. The same software will be very different in one year. I can't imagine what it will be in five years. When everybody start to share Python and KL classes, then it will be easier for a technical artist to write cool plugins or even complete applications without thinking much about KL and high performance processing.

That being said, we will still have to spend time learning it. It's quite different from what we already know.
But it does rock.

Cheers.

Francois