Hey Szabolcs. Yes, I have been using bump instead of normals for the most
part, but most of the modeling texture artists I have been working with
insist on Normal maps.
This is for render time work, so no RT needed on my end,though
compatibility through HQ viewport would be welcome.

The  tips are great though. I'll try and work them through.

I basically look for the normal map to function the same way as it does in
Maya without the extra steps.

I definitely don't think its asking too much of my software of choice.

I'm working between 2012 SAP, and 2013 currently depending on workplace.

Cheers folks!!

Adam