saw this a siggraph, he implemented it into houdini...
http://elrond.informatik.tu-freiberg.de/papers/SIGGRAPH2012_1/content/talks/044-matthews.pdf

its the abstract, but he talks about object-order slices for the best
efficiency for parallelism in regards to spare volume data. he references
this paper...

http://www.cs.unc.edu/techreports/93-027.pdf

i would talk to fabric guys, i seem to remember they made a volume renderer.

chaosgroup's phoenix fd 2.0 gpu preview...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5xuhBAngM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K9JUaiPIVEc#t=509s