Ok, let's sum this up again.
ICE-like node graphs exist for a long time now. Houdini is built around them. There's a plugin for 3ds Max, Blender, etc. There are many examples in audio software, too, btw.
Actually, the old Hypergraph in Maya is a clumsy version of this as well.

The specifics and deep integration is what's unique with ICE. Because of that, it cannot simply be ripped and plugged into Maya. It has to be re-written from ground up, wrapped around the Maya architecture. If that was so easy, they would be finished by now. Of course, they eventually will be, but that does not mean Maya will ever become a nice application... if it does, why not use it then? (I doubt it, though)

Even if Softimage and Maya were in different companies, you couldn't prevent good ideas from being copied (Apple/Samsung?). It would maybe take longer, and there would be usual legal/financial hassle, but it would happen anyway. You cannot rest on your laurels forever if you had a good idea once. Softimage has to continue to innovate, not worry about copycats.

The reasons the architects of ICE had to jump train does not matter. (If I were a expert programmer for node-based 3d-frameworks, what would I do if one project, Softimage, is finished, and I'm looking for a new challenge?)
The new guys have every chance to be clever right now, too.
Btw., if you want to be of help, you could ask for getting into the beta, give constructive feedback, log bugs and request features there.