For a large enough studio having a sales contact on the same timeline is
actually still beneficial, but it comes with a bit more than just being
yanked around the yard faxing documents and making phonecalls. There are
things like temp licenses, discussions you have and so on.

That for small volume they force people through the same hoops, with none
of the benefits, is a bit ridiculous, but I don't know if it is because
they have to to keep the resellers looped in with more than just the big
accounts (of which there's really not that many in most cities), old
contracts and procedures that they have no choice but deal with, or simply
plain sclerosis of a mechanism grown too large.