CPU-based renderers can render scenes that fit into RAM, while GPU based ones
traditionally only have fast access to VRAM, which usually is not more than 2Gb
on most cards. Redshift have overcome this limitation, they do most of the
processing on the GPU and can still render scenes that need more RAM than what
fits into the cards VRAM ("Out of core" is becoming an increasingly popular
paradigm, it's been mentioned a lot in recent talks and papers from Nvidia too).

What I havent understood yet is in how far Redshifts lead in this area is based
on their own inovation and to what extent it is influenced by NVIDIA middleware
(it's CUDA only after all atm). The more of the latter might allow other
renderers to follow qickly.

Also, the whole memory bottle neck problem would not be one if GPUs had direct
access to CPU RAM.
Coincidentally, AMD is making the APUs for the new PS4 with exactly such
functionality (they even allow the GPU to directly access memory in the 386
adress space directly). It will be interesting to see what happens when such
Silicon becomes available to mainstream computing.