From: Jason S [jasonsta...@gmail.com]
Sent: 21 April 2013 08:00 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: AMD & MAXON Cinema 4D.

Apart from one card which I had to boot twice to boot my computer,
I never had many problems specific with ATI,
except of course for CG shaders and Cuda things not working. (being
quite a biggie)

But what puzzles me is why developpers predominantly choose Cuda as
opposed to OpenCL
since OpenCL works on both platforms?

Is it technical reasons? or it's a Marketing thing? (Cuda sounding cooler?)

But for me, questionable ATI driver quality mostly has to do with the
interface, or general presentation.
(not that I often go fiddle with driver settings but..)

Everything is so "tacky" or like WindowsXP-y

Maybe Mr. Kodury might bring some influence from Mac on that side :)

On 21/04/2013 1:44 PM, Tim Leydecker wrote:
> A bit of news:
>
> Raja Koduri is going from Apple to AMD, becoming orporate Vice
> President Visual Computing.
>
> His tasks will include hard&software development for mobile and
> desktop GPUs.
>
> He´s been with AMD from 2001-2009, working on the R300 chips (Radeon
> HD9700/Pro) and
> it´s successors.
>
> Personally, I can´t say much about ATI cards but the one that came
> with my MacPro2008.
> It wasn´t fast but Maya worked on it without glitches. Generally, the
> AMD/ATI windows drivers
> are said to have be frustrating in the past.
>
> I would hope that the OpenGL and general driver quality for AMD
> graphics cards gets a better
> reputation by putting in more quality control.
>
> I would think that there is a good chance this will happen as at least
> one next generation console
> is going to use AMD chips and the tests including the technical
> specifications and burn-in of such
> a plattform may benefit any related products, if only for a rigorous
> testing pipeline in place already...
>
> Cheers,
>
> tim
>

> On 21.04.2013 07:59, Sam wrote:
>> I said I haven’t bought one, but I’ve dealt with many of them, both
>> from friends and Family (which is why I haven’t bought one). I would
>> think that after 20 years they would get
>> their issues straightened out, but from what I’ve seen they haven’t
>> learned anything over the years.  The last one I dealt with was about
>> 6 months ago and I was shocked at how
>> dated the driver panel seemed. I felt like I was dealing with windows
>> 3.1 technology by the way the thing was put together. Using it just
>> felt like the person or people who created
>> it just didn’t care how well it worked.  If AMD (ATI) cards work for
>> you, great, but it’s going to take some pretty massive changes for me
>> to seriously consider using them again.
>>
>> I think with programs like C4d and Modo, the developers go out of
>> their way to write their programs to work with them. I remember Modo
>> 1.0 worked well with ATI (from what I heard
>> on the forums), but it had a lot of problems with NVidia cards. I
>> seem to remember that the developers were all using ATI cards at the
>> time…

=
style="width:100%;">
size="1" color="#999999"><span style="font-size:11px;">This communication is
intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original
message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without the
permission of the University. Only authorised signatories are competent to
enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus
advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the
University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which
are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the
Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and
outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in