Try disabling as much as you can (e.g. turn off Light cache and Irradiance map and use brute force instead). If that reduces memory consumption your problem might lie there.
Make sure you are writing a new Irradiance map file and that you are not constantly reading from, and adding to an existing irradiance map.
Same goes for the Light Cache. Displacement and Subdivisions are another good idea, as was already mentioned.
Other than that it could only be corrupt geometry. Remove objects biut by bit and see if it helps. All of that is annoying when you have little time to f#&% around of course.

Very high resolution with high AA and many in-memory Framebuffers could take quite a lot of ram. If that's the case, try to write the framebuffers directly to disk.
HDRIs take a lot of memory in V-Ray, make them as small as you can.
Look at the log files to see where your memory usage is at.
Check displacement settings. It's very easy for a artist to use way to many subdivisions in VRayDisplacement due to the bad interface.
Maybe reduce Dynamic Memory Limit if it's set too high.

/Jens