Thinking outloud here,

I like the "after life of pi" format, very human very easy to set-up, a camera, a micro, a light. But not every one is an actor, and someone wrote somewhere that "animators make their creatures do things they can't do in real life". So an open patchwork aproach is IMHO a good way to go, at least diversity should show richness. A little introduction of SI history, asking Steve Blair maybe, his the memory here, he could compile an efficient short intro. Imho, gathering the letters from Glasswork, Seshsusht, Mills, Janimation, etc. would make a strong backbone to the "documentary" with orbitting around intervention from Artist such as Tim Borgmaan to show the single/personnal level. The movie should show IMHO, the "state" of the today industry, the consequences/impact of AD decision at industry and personnal level. it should show how bad was the behavior of AD since it buy Softimage, with facts. Interviewing ex Coders should give good anecdotes I'm all for expressing the anger of people the one that is unpolite, not everyone can hold himself ...that's nature and that's entertaining.
There's plenty  to tell with a lot of logic and a common will .