thats is my concern too. as much as I embrace a decoupling from maya, its how
ICE is capable to talk to different scene elements that makes it so powerful.
managing data until the very least work process  at render time. and we are in
full control.
as beautiful big ass fluid sims look, its not what we day for day.
please have a look on the ‚what uses is ICE?‘ thread
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/xsi_list/7aGyes8lBQE)

thanks