I personally would prefer an old school mailing list attempt rather than
linkedIn groups. Forums are even worse. I think the reason for the low noise
ratio of the list was because it was not so well known by everybody. It was and
is a place for (softimage) professionals. Students and starters mostly using
forums. Many forums, especially the max and maya forums were overrun by
hobbyists and had therefore very high noise, what made them unattractive for
professionals and most of the old school mailing list people.
I would like to keep it that way. Setting up a new mail server and keep it
maintained should not be hard and costs nothing (if AD eventually will shut it
down in a few years...)

I'd like to suggest one of the really old schoolers like
Ed-"doubleR-doubleS"-Harriss or Matt Lind to provide a functional mailing list
that runs on their servers and it  doesn't need any high bandwith, does it? ;)
The list never needed any moderation as far as I know, it was a self organized
place used by professionals. Very low cost!
How do you think about it, Ed/Matt?
Maybe with a backup or some kind of redundant list-server, to make sure the
list continue to work if a server runs by a single person, will fail eventually
or not longer be available for some reason.

I personally put more trust in people being softimage users for 15 or maybe 20
years to keep a softimage list running than I trust in Google, LinkedIn or
Autodesk.

sven