Softimage has a pivot and a center.

Maya doesn't have a center concept, only pivot.
Well, it actually has 2 pivots: rotation + translation and scale and these
pivot positions can be found in your Attribute Editor.
These pivots don't have orientation values, only position. Curiously
Softimage pivot have a rotation value in the menu, it just doesn't do
anything.

You can move them independiently from this attribute editor, or
simultaneously with Ins or D in the viewport just like you do it in
Softimage.

Maya's pivot, just like Softimage pivot can't be rotated.

Softimage's pivot follows the center rotation but Maya doesn't have a
center to be rotated.
What you do with Ins and the light blue icon is change the Translate tool
axis to a custom axis and rotate it.
Something like the Reference Transform option in Softimage.
The object properties aren't changed at all.

You do have a "Rotate axis" in the Attribute Editor that can be used with a
negative rotation value to make it something like a Neutral Pose only for
rotation, so you have a different orientation only for rotation. I'm not
sure how useful is this, I prefer not to mess with Rotate Axis.

Martin