From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Matt Lind
Sent: Monday, September 2, 2019 10:22 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: RE: Friday Flashback #384

The logic is the menu shows the shading mode that will become active when you
middle click the menu. If no mode had been chosen yet, then it can't be
anything other than NONE. Therefore NONE would make perfect sense, especially
if you read the manuals. :)

If you start up the application then immediately middle click the shade mode
menu, most computers will switch to SHADE mode, but not all computers did that.
Some stayed in wireframe. Therefore it would be wrong to display WIRE or SHADE
in the viewport title bar as the initial value. The only acceptable time WIRE
or SHADE could be the initial value is if the application were programmed to
ensure one of those modes would be active upon middle click.

Displaying the next mode makes more sense when the menu has only two choices
such as a boolean value (check box), but even then I would prefer to see the
current setting. The shade mode menu had many choices depending on what kind of
view it was. So to show what was next was rather confusing when everything else
in the UI was displaying the current setting.

In my opinion it should've displayed the current shade mode. Believe it or not,
there are instances where two different shade modes can produce the same result
which only makes the displayed value all the more confusing. When you're in a
collaborative environment working with other people and discussing things, you
need to keep track of various settings for comparisons / critiques of work so
you can give constructive criticism and instruction. Can you imagine if every
menu in the application showed you what would happen under a middle click
instead of the actual value? You wouldn't be able to figure anything out. It
could say SCHEMATIC, but you'd be clearly looking at the top view as evidenced
by the objects in the display. Instead of showing the current frame number, the
timeline shows the next frame you'll skip to when you set a keyframe (or the
previous key you already set). Huh???

The only time I'd find it handy is if it could display which click will crash
the application. There were plenty of those opportunities.

Matt

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 00:44:52 +0200 From: “Sven Constable”
<sixsi_l...@imagefront.de> Subject: RE: Friday Flashback #384 To: "'Official
Softimage Users Mailing List.

So a consistent, logical solution would have been “NONE” as the default label,
I agree. But wouldn't it be more confusing especially since it it's only
displayed once at start and then never again? Every viewport had to display
something at start (wireframe back then) so its not that disorienting because
it showed the correct shading mode at first launch.

As soon as the user started to work and switching back and forth between
shading modes (most likely in the camera view only), it switched gears and
changed to show which mode the user will switch to. Kind of a work mode that
kicked in as the user changed the view for the very first time.

I might be a quirk somehow but it was useful to me (after I got it) and I think
it was intended. ;)

Sven

reply to confirm.

<https://u9432639.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=lIXdN6W56FnEjHCwrBXqOq0HQNpV0huvAGw1zu6Xp8eVQuk2cNZiNFjx2k-2FfTNch-2BwSLMAIA8-2B-2Fai7Was5M7NUgkRPlvtBVWECuMBMaQ6RLkkQsPKQsWTDamTO8MR8pff-2F8FLBJc1lH4mNjKS3QK5jHleo-2FyBMsLGgoqi8C705Jz-2FCC4lUWDR0WxfcKEi-2BZ4gt-2F-2BRbTKMY-2BmDwQ8FKkK8iyl-2FxGVWmbS86w2DrfG9OtAZGztNZn7IXYdobQ1jjD2v50X-2FfmlIti648hGOQWCF7yGFo0lqWqHawibMYpiWSQynJUVKtPPEiKD4gq0lFScYpg5B12zbOMKMejFAsbYblJSObjRtPVACNyNObhqA-2BgxTM5xsl6TAwcuUAutvsDDY5MI6GDSByrVsxOvQ4SNzKtxE7JpCPmJA9MrjS9H-2B5jNSqBKP3Yr6NVIc6NItMi0vABb88o7HuJ-2BfxRSB1HrivDE9KNBP29FRM00uji-2FVbngGag-2BCWOW2xys15D2Lk1kdVik7XfFXOA9hgKQG4z4LNOeZTbg-2Bmret47v9biq0ljGhGWKzxTjoFTMvAxniUDtwzmOgHs-2F7H-2BtFFBp7qB7ZBWkeC2fYnFAG3wGbDRH8BLs2cpnjz4kVdGlEeyrM2DfY5EjA0DKFcdaJ-2FY6XOiopeuLdZT3jvSlZZ68J-2BB-2BuBwD015s2cnB-2Fsavc107a82btxDDxlp7-2B7Ld-2Brrj0zRrTvNLFAQ1W-2FUwozTz3u3bDO8HWvaTsb1TtZQcjeSd-2BZoj_a6oQc7tnfcb0GKvoO27fPkrQ0ATQyF1SDBXJOg7-2FbuRJAt1z-2BgxZtdOG9w8TCZAY1CYXI7r1IdOxZApQiGCz8eHBoZl92f4Ryey7-2FS0zMirw8UXS8iDa7mP5Pql8kZ8Z4UTRqd-2Bj4tV0MWOBgNeaox6U4brXmab3BfoKCFGF3TGISz2UmHSatV9TR33kSmagsisEyLvOzIkmgQ-2F9mVNRXHCMzc-2BHO3uT6j703t3B4rM-3D