: regular trunk structure at some point down the road. What's the SOLR
: versioning scheme by the way? Is it:

that's part of the problem (and the reason why comments about the "back
compat" commitments for Solr have come up in this thread) ... Solr is a
young enough project that we've never made any "formal" specification of
what it means to rev a major version, or for that matter if/when we might
have a point release (ie: 1.4.1) ... and we've never really specified what
it means for Solr to be backwards compatible ... we've done a pretty good
job of making config syntax, schema declarations, and URL params backwards
compatible, and whenever feasible we've tried to keep "plugin" APIs back
compatible -- but we have (knowingly) broken them on occasion with the
understanding that our first priority is "user level" back compatibility
and performance, and that plugin writers are probably willing to put up
with needing to make small code changes to upgrade if it means good
performance wins.

that said: i (and i'm guressing several other people) would fight
pretty hard against making major internal API chandes that would require
plugin developers to rewrite serious chunks of code w/o doing a major
version bump.

The point being: it's all been very informat up to now -- and that's
probably for the best.  "policies" should evolve over time based on real
world situations that come up, and we're still in the process of doing
that.

-Hoss