XML can be a problem when it is really lengthy (lots of results, large results) such that a binary format could be useful in certain cases where we control both ends of the pipe (i.e. SolrJ.) I've seen apps that deal with really large files wrapped in XML where the XML parsing takes a significant amount of time as compared to a more compact binary format.

I think it at least warrants profiling/testing.

-Grant