For the case where we use Solrj (we control both ends) It is best to resort
to a custom binary format. It works fastest and with least cost /bandwidth .
We can use a custom object serialization/deserialization mechanism (java
standard serialization is verbose ) which is lightweight .

I can create a patch which can be used for the same if you think it is
useful.

--Noble

--Noble Paul