Stefan Bluhm:
> Hello all,
>
> TLDR: Spacewalk packages build and can be installed on CentOS 8.
>
> as I am working on getting Spacewalk to run on CentOS8/RHEL8, I would like to
> share my progress here with you, in the hopes that you can contribute or
> share your experience/knowledge. I am not company sponsored, not a developer
> nor do I have much other knowledge of Linux.
>
> Around three weeks ago, I forked the GIT repo and the COPR repositories. So
> that is the basis of my current work:
> https://github.com/sbluhm/spacewalk
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sbluhm/nightly/           # Contains
> the packages from the original spacewalk nightly
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sbluhm/java-packages/     # Contains
> 421 Java related and other random packages
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sbluhm/python-packages/   # Contains
> 115 Python, Perl and other random packages
> http://dev2.bluhm-de.com/packages                                 # Custom
> repo for locally compiled or added packages that I was not yet able to build.
>
> Primary objective was to hack everything together to get everything to build.
>
> I have added and built all required dependencies (mainly Python 2 and Java)
> and modified the RPM spec files so that it is possible to successfully build
> all Spacewalk packages. It is also possible to install all Spacewalk packages
> apart from spacewalk-proxy* and spacewalk-oracle* which I have no idea (or
> currently care) how to set up.

Hello Stefan,

That sounds like a huge amount of great work.

> Unfortunately, spacewalk-setup fails due to a postgresql configuration error
> (unrecognized configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments"), otherwise this
> would have been an additional great achievement.

See commit fe265a597de3f043c22bf7910d2119e9c9b967cd.
IMHO you just need to change condition in spec to
%if 0%{?fedora} || 0%{?rhel} >= 8

> Next few steps I see (in no real particular order):
> - Clean up and verify the git changes and push them to the Spacewalk master.
> Michael, you will see quite a few SHORT pull requests coming from me in the
> future. It would be great, if you could sanity check them (as mentioned
> above, I am not a developer nor do I know what I am doing).

I'll take a look.

> - Fix the compile issues from my local repository and add them to the COPR
> repos.
> - Clean up the repos. I probably have more packages built than required.
> Including already existing RHEL8 packages and/or module conflicts.
> - Start moving code to Python 3 to get rid of the many custom built Python 2
> packages.
>
> Open questions from my side:
> - What do I do with those build packages in my repos? How/where do I add them
> to hand my work over? Please give some assistance where to put what (git,
> nightly, python-packages, java-packages) and how.

What are these packages? Fedora packages simply rebuilt for RHEL8? Or
are there any tweaks in their spec?
Clean rebuilds can go to python-packages / java-packages, packages with changed
specs
we keep in git and build them into nightly.

> - Is there a reason to keep Python 2 or can everything be moved to Python 3?

Server side can be moved to python3 without problem. For RHEL 6 and 7
(and clones like CentOS, OL, etc.) clients we still need python2.

> - What are the supported OS? I would say RHEL>=7 (remove 6 code), Fedora >=
> 29 (28 is EOL in May and I doubt we will be ready for a release by then).
> What about SLES? I have seen SLES specific code in there.

So far RHEL6+ and Fedora 30+ (29 has been EOLed and removed from COPR).
For Spacewalk 2.9 we had also had SLES and Debian clients built but I
don't know the current status.

> - Probably create a wiki page/edit for instructions how to install the
> nightly on RHEL8
>
> Do you see the next steps in the same way? Do you have any other suggestions,
> recommendations, guidelines?
> How can you assist?
>
> I will shift my focus for time being to a different project (evdi) to get my
> second screen working again. Then I will probably be back here.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Stefan

Regards,

--