On dv, 2020-03-13 at 12:04 +0000, francisco.card...@gmail.com wrote:

> I think the main issue with all this is going to be the brutal
> fragmentation that’s going to be going forward.
> Oracle has his own twisted fork of spacewalk that isn’t even a fork
> by itself.
> SUSE has SUSE Manager and Uyuni which are both based on the vanilla
> Spacewalk project but at least they are giving something back.

Actually, we SUSE are giving it all: the Uyuni codebase (and even docs
base) is identical to SUSE Manager. The only difference is support.

As a contributor to Uyuni, SUSE will focus on openSUSE/SUSE Linux
Enterprise on the server side, and on the most popular distributions on
the client side (e. g. Uyuni includes crazy clients stuff such as
Springdale Linux -Princeton's clone of RHEL-, Astra Linux -Russian
Debian-derivative-, etc; SUSE Manager also includes that -because the
codebase is the same as Uyuni, we don't add or remove- but there is no
support from SUSE, it's only community-supported)

I said this when I presented Uyuni at CentOS Dojo in Brussels 6 weeks
ago and I will repeat it again: we are open to run Uyuni Server and
Proxy on other platforms (e. g. CentOS or Debian) if anyone is willing
to contribute and maintain it.

https://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/Brussels2020

Same for governance: I would love to open it.

Thank you

Pau Garcia Quiles
Product Owner & Technical Project Manager, SUSE Manager
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)