I'm pretty sure that square brackets are not valid email address characters.
Given this, maybe some sort of scheme where [] would delineate wildcards.
Regular expressions may not be so easy, since [] are meaningful inside them,
but perhaps something simple like and asterisk representing zero or more
"any" char, and a question mark representing a single "any" char.

Like this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
would match:
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]