Hi Eric,

At 06:50 03/09/2009 -0700, you wrote:
>Mirko,
>
>That answers the 'pretty formatting' part, but the meat of the sandwich
>is collecting the stats. I'm afraid that "Virus stats are collected
>through clamav, bad_sender/rcpt are chkuser GREPs, and so on" leaves us
>hanging. :(

You can collect data in a various amount of ways.  For continuous collection
I suggest to use collectd package, altough for spam/mail statistics I'm afraid
you'll have to write your own plugins.
To count the entries in a daily rotated log file a simple

grep "VIRUS FOUND" clamav/current.1 | wc -l

is enough.  The same applies to other patterns in the log file.

>The data collection code is what I'm most interested in. Are the stats
>gathered continually and stored, or are they gathered dynamically on

Since they are a daily statistic, they are collected after logfile rotation
and stored/processed.

Mirko