That what I suspected. Now that you mention it, I did have some write
inefficiencies configured (lacked write caching) that have since been
corrected. I just tested again, and results were much better, more like
what I would expect. I think the writes were what was clobbering
performance.

If you have a look and don't see any inefficiency, I'd leave it alone. I
like thorough integrity checks. :)

Thanks for everything, Sam.

--
-Eric 'shubes'