On 09/01/2012 08:17 AM, J.R. Lillard wrote:
> I have a client that uses spamdyke but I am new to it.  I've read
> through the documentation so I am vaguely familiar with it now.  They
> have been under a DDOS attack for about a month now.  It's not enough to
> bring their servers down.  Basically it's a bunch of SMTP traffic
> attempting to send spam.  Spamdyke has been doing a great job of
> blocking the connections usually with the DENIED_RDNS_MISSING error.
>   The problem is this attack has been eating up a lot of their
> bandwidth.  As a temporary measure their ISP has asked them to just drop
> the invalid connections instead of issuing the appropriate SMTP response
> codes.  Is this something spamdyke can be configured to do?  I did not
> see anything obvious in the documentation.
>
> --
> J.R. Lillard
> System / Network Admin
> Web Programmer
> Hyphen Communications

Hey JR,

I don't know the answer to this question. Sam will no doubt chime in on
spamdyke's capability regarding dropping connections. My opinion is that
this would not be an appropriate thing to do.

Given what you've described, I would consider whether the host is
running a caching nameserver or not. What are the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf ? spamdyke is rather heavy on DNS, and network traffic
can be reduced a bit by running a resolver on localhost (127.0.0.1).
Personally, I use the pdns-recursor package on CentOS. I expect that
there's probably a powerdns recursor available for your platform as well.

You'll also want to check that you're not using too many
dns-blacklist-entry= parameters. In this area, more isn't necessarily
better. Personally, I use only zen.spamhaus.org and bl.spamcop.net.

While DNS traffic isn't large from a bandwidth standpoint, I expect that
it's larger than SMTP response codes. If the DDOS attacks are coming
from a single group of IP addresses, having a caching nameserver on
localhost will provide a substantial reduction in network/DNS traffic.

HTH.

--
-Eric 'shubes'