Can someone remind me please: under what circumstances would a
spamdyke-created graylist file be 0 bytes?

I used to know this but it has totally escaped my memory.

This came to light when we saw a sender who appeared to be permanently
graylisted when sending to a specific recipient (but not to another
recipient, where the sender was graylisted for the appropriate amount of
time then let through as expected).

On investigation, I found a 0 byte graylist file for the problem
sender/recipient pair dating back to October.

Deleting it resulted in the email being delivered normally to the recipient
shortly after.

The sender, incidentally, was a human, sending from a normal smtp server
with rDNS and IP visible in the logs.

Thanks,

Faris.