BC wrote:
> On 3/8/2014 7:03 AM, Angus McIntyre wrote:
>> TL;DR: if you null-route every IP that HostNoc owns, it will make a
>> dramatic difference to the amount of spam you see.
>
> To what does the "TL;DR" refer?

"TL;DR" is Internet slang for 'Too Long; Didn't Read'. As it's used now,
it's a way for someone who has written a long post to provide a very brief
summary of what they said (usually no more than a single line) for the
benefit of anyone skim-reading the post. Sometimes the summary may be a
humorous simplification of whatever was said.

> ... How are you "null-routing" all those IPs?  With spamdyke somehow?

I'm not actually null-routing HostNoc IPs (but believe me, I've been
tempted).

You could probably use spamdyke to block mail coming from HostNoc
customers, because spamdyke's ip blacklisting allows you to blacklist
entire address ranges as well as individual addresses.

However, when people talk of 'null-routing' an address, it means
configuring your firewall (such as an iptables firewall) to simply drop
any incoming packets from that source. It's the most absolute form of
rejection possible. The other host literally cannot connect to your system
in any way, because you've told the firewall "Ignore everything coming
from here".

Basically, my "TL;DR" was saying "If you refuse to accept any
communication whatsoever from this entire chunk of the Internet, it
wouldn't be a bad thing". And I was partly joking ... but only partly.

Angus