Sam,

Yes I'm on 5.0.1.

I've paired the configuration file down to:

qmail-rcpthosts-file=/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
recipient-validation-command=/usr/local/bin/spamdyke-qrv
reject-recipient=invalid
max-recipients=5
idle-timeout-secs=300
tls-level=smtp-no-passthrough
tls-certificate-file=/usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
tls-privatekey-file=/usr/local/etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
filter-level=require-auth
smtp-auth-level=always
smtp-auth-command=/usr/local/bin/checkpassword-pam -s smtp /bin/true

If I comment out the smpt-auth-level so it uses qmail, I get the STARTTLS, this way I don't.

I'm still trying to figure out the qmail auth failure. This one is a real head-stratcher. It's timing out so it looks like the pipe isn't connecting to checkpasswd-pam. I tried hard-coding the string that was sent (and works fine on external checkpasswd-pam tests) but it still times out. However, spamdyke's auth works fine which is how I discovered the above problem.

Gary