A client using our Spamdyke-enabled mail server has reported someone sending
them an email received a "bounce" message notifying the sender that the
messages has been graylisted (see the delivery failure notification below).
They did receive the message (graylisting works well for us).

This is the first time I've heard of a soft failure resulting in a notification
returning to the sender. If graylisting is a common practice, these
notifications must be terribly annoying, however the sender (from the
cdph.ca.gov network) seems surprised by the message. So either: A) graylisting
is not very common, or B) cdph.ca.gov has an uncommon setup that sends annoying
bounce messages.

If graylisting will result in annoying senders with delivery failure
notifications, I'd prefer to avoid that by disabling graylisting (doesn't
matter who is to blame, what the RFCs say, etc).

What do y'all think?

Regards,
Quinn

The delivery failure notification received: