I have been running into this for a few days and went through the new
setup to see if the problem went away. I just ran through the sequence
again:

mkdir stest
cd stest
virtualenv --no-site-packages .
Scripts\activate
sphinx-quickstart (mostly defaults chosen)
(edits to Makefile)
make html (succeeds)
make latex (fails with ref to footer node)
make clean
make latex (same error)

No latex file gets built, so the TeX setup is not part of the picture
yet (I am using TeXlive for the moment). I really want to see if I can
get a USB portable writing environment set up to manage class note
production, since I travel between campuses a lot and am getting tired
of lugging a 17" laptop everywhere.

I will try running under wing and see if I can track this down -