On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, David Evans wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Jay A. St. Pierre wrote:
>
> > I have the following piece of code:
> >
> >   #include <stdarg.h>
> >   #include <stdio.h>
> >   #include <stdbool.h>
> >
> > When I run splint with no arguments, I get:
> >
> >   $ splint foo.c
> >   Splint 3.1.1 --- 20 May 2003
> >
> >   Finished checking --- no warnings
> >
> > Now, when I run it using the -load flag to tell it to load the
> > standard.lcd file that comes with splint, I get:
> >
> >   $ splint +load /opt/splint-3.1.1/share/splint/lib/standard.lcd foo.c
> >   Splint 3.1.1 --- 20 May 2003
> >
> >   foo.c:3:21: Cannot find include file stdbool.h on search path:
> >       /usr/include;/opt/splint-3.1.1/include
> >     Preprocessing error. (Use -preproc to inhibit warning)
> >   Preprocessing error for file: /tmp/foo.c
> >   *** Cannot continue.
> >

> Splint only skips the ANSI standard headers if the library is used.  In
> this case, it doesn't know that the +load .../standard.lcd is the standard
> library, so it doesn't skip the standard headers.

But shouldn't it skip the standard headers if I include the
+skip-iso-headers (or +skip-ansi-headers) flag?  This does not
seem to work:

  $ splint +load /opt/splint-3.1.1/share/splint/lib/standard.lcd \
    +skip-iso-headers foo.c

  Command Line: Setting +skipisoheaders redundant with current value
  foo.c:3:21: Cannot find include file stdbool.h on search path:
      /usr/include;/opt/splint-3.1.1/include
    Preprocessing error. (Use -preproc to inhibit warning)
  Preprocessing error for file: /tmp/foo.c
  *** Cannot continue.

> Note that when you generate a library running splint on your
> code with the standard library, the generated library includes
> this information that it was produced using the standard
> library (or unix, posix library as the case may be) and will
> skip the appropriate headers.  So, I'm not sure I understand
> why you are running into this problem when you generate your
> libraries with the POSIX real time extendions.  The
> standard.lcd doesn't include that information (since it wasn't
> generated from a splint run that used the standard library),
> but it probably should so the behavior is the same whether you
> load it explicitly or normally.

Referring to the above example, if its not skipping the iso
headers because I'm explicitly loading standard.lcd, why does it
complain "+skipisoheaders redundant with current value" when I
use the +skip-iso-headers flag?  Am I not understanding the
+skip-iso-headers flag correctly?

As a further note, the library we are creating is just a small
superset of the posix.lcd that comes with splint.  We create a
posix-rte.h that has annotated POSIX.4 structures, constants, and
prototypes, then we run the command:

  splint -nolib standard.h posix.h posix-rte.h -dump posix-rte

Then we use this library to check our code.  Using the
+skip-posix-headers flag with this library generates the
"redundant" complaint, and by and large seems to work fine.
So far its just code that is including gcc-3.2.3's stdarg.h that
exhibits this problem.

Thanks for your time.

-Jay