Yeah, that's a possibility.

Viral Marketing is a possibility as well, but less likely.

Hadn't thought of the Google DaVinci code angle mentioned elsewhere,
but I guess pretty much anything's possible.

It actually took a couple of days for me to get this to the list -
qth.net thought I was a spammer courtesy of gmail defaulting to HTML
when I sent my original message, so I had to wait for the ban it set
to expire.  Anyway, a couple of us kicked the idea around; we pretty
much decided that the idea of it being some kind of advertising was
fairly unlikely unless the same number were dropped out to multiple
cities at once.  We searched and couldn't find any evidence of it
having been posted anywhere other than New York.  It's also not a very
effective way of promoting something since (assuming they're doing it
right) nobody should be able to crack it, right? ;)

No idea, myself - it's still as baffling as when I first heard it.
BTW, someone described the voices as being flat and accentless, but it
sounds like each number is a different man or woman speaking it.

John.