Actually the first thing I thought of (other than Twelve Monkeys) was some kind of smaller "operation" without the resources that governments/spys might have, for example drug runners.

Doing it via phone means you can set up the whole thing by remote - you don't need to put up antennas and transmitters and such, so both the sending and recieving party could be anywhere in the world. It would be less secure in the long run as records could be traced, but if whatever you're doing is short-term, this wouldn't matter. Its not too hard to set up a phone number with fake or stolen information, and the rest could have been set up from a coffee shop/internet cafe anywhere...

Or the whole thing is just a prank.

E.J. Caylor wrote:

I've been doing some searching on the central office that number is
allocated to.  The only address I've been able to get out of it is 32
Old Slip in Queens.  Mapquest shows it near the southern tip of
Manhattan Island.  Another has it as comming from a different central
office, this one on W. 10th.  There is a company, RNK, Inc.,(RNK
Telecom) that has the 212-796-0 number, but there is no other info for
them.  Perhaps a test number?

E.J. Caylor