Grr...  Looks like this didn't get through to the list earlier for
some reason.  Resending in hopes that it makes it this time; I'm
guessing that my last message was effectively blank except for the
header and footer the list attaches to each message.

Why broadcast it to the world if it's something serious (or even
semi-serious)? Putting it on a message board is bound to get a lot of
attention!

True...  But by the same token, people scan shortwave looking for
stuff like this.  Six of one, half-dozen of the other :)

Another idea we were kicking around was that with Internet access
being as ubiquitous as it is, a person being observed by a third party
using a laptop or going into an internet cafe wouldn't be as unusual
as a SW receiver.  Also, there's the possibilty that the person the
message is intended for isn't necessarily in the US - so if you don't
have access to or the ability to operate a transmitter, the message
can still be picked up (and reception conditions would be less of a
concern).

I suspect either a prank or someone is trying to observe something about
people or groups.

Maybe when it's decoded it is going to say "Al Fansome check tire
pressure".  :-)

I don't get the reference - is it related to
http://www.spynumbers.com/WBNY.html ?  Definitely a possibility, I
guess.

John.